Spark Plugs Problems
Diagnosing Spark Plug Problems
When we are talking about automotive electrical system, how can we miss on the spark plugs. Spark Plugs, as the Wikipedia defines, are electrical device that fits into the cylinder head of some internal combustion engines and ignites compressed aerosol gasoline by means of an electric spark. Often, a little problem with the spark plug is the reason behind the breakdown of the vehicle in the middle of road. A little maintenance and few D-I-Y tips will help you keep these auto parts in place. But before that for repair, you need to know the common problems behind spark plugs. Lets together find out the common spark plug problems.
Problems With Your Spark Plug
- There are times, when your car’s engine cranks, isn’t it? but then, nothing happen after, i.e. it doesn’t start after that. this is possible because of the spark plug.
- in some cases, the engine might run. after that, it often misfires. check for any worn out spark plug. in such a case, it is possible that these auto parts have either fouled or probably the reason is bad spark plug wires
- high or low voltage also indicate problem. on an oscilloscope, if you observe the firing pattern of each cylinder, you might be able to diagnose the problems yourself. if the firing voltage is noticed to be normal, it means there is excessive resistance in a plug wire. other possibilities can be loose plug wire, badly worn or too wide spark plug.
- in case you notice that there is a lower voltage in firing pattern, then it indicates, a damaged or shortened plug wire.
- fouling is something that should be avoided. One important cause of it is deposits of oil or fuel upon the plug electrodes.
Reasons Why You Need To Change the Spark Plugs
There are a number of factors that can be the cause for replacement of spark plugs, on the bottom you find some more factors. Some of them are:
- Fouling - In case you notice that there is a single fouled spark plug, you need to be cautious and get it replaced soon. Otherwise, you might have to suffer the loss of 25% of output of four cylinder engines.
- For Preventive Maintenance - This is always suggested as to avoid any major auto repair.
- Due to Worn Out Electrodes - That increases the distance between the electrodes and finally increases the firing voltage.
Allow me to ask you. If you remove your spark plugs or ask your mechanic to do it for you, where your spark plugs fit in this photos?. Compare your spark plugs here and get an indication of the general running of you car engine.
Grayish to white colour around the insulator at the firing. Confirms that the plugs is the appropriate heat range and has been firing correctly.Indicates the fuel and the ignition are good and the engine mechanically sound. No required check the gap and replace.
Soft black sooty deposits on the fire end. Rich, air fuel mixture, weak ignition or spark plugs to cold this are the causes. Carbon deposits are conductive and can create earth leakage paths.The most of the time misfire problems which can lead to catalyst damage. To solve the problem check the fuel and ignition systems and general engine performance.
Severe detonation can crack even break the insulator or the ground electrode. The problem is due by abnormal combustion, pressure pick chock waves in the combustion chamber, inoperative exhaust gas re-circulation system, defective detonation sensor, lean air mix, incorrect fuel octane rating. Effect misfire poor and uneven running may result in engine damage. Identify the cause and replace the spark plugs on remedy you have. Auto Parts Warehouse they stock all range of spark plugs.
Fuel additives reddish/brown or purple deposits, coloration on the core nose insulator. Caused by use of the fuel additives. Your car going to misfire and normal additives they not conductive. If is excessive can create an earth leakage. In this problem, replace the spark plugsand insure that any additives used are compatible with the engine, ignition and emission systems and added in the correct proportion. Select from a High Quality Ignition Parts at Autoparts123.com
The corona discharge is discoloration of the ceramic insulator near the shell. That is oil or gas in the spark plug becoming attracted to the ceramic is detrimental to the spark plug operation. You must be sure the plugs are clean before you fit theme.
Black burn marks carbon track running down spark plug insulator towards the shell.Due to the poor fitting. Your car engine going to misfire in this matter replace the damage plugsand the plug wires (leads). This store Guaranteed Lowest Auto Parts prices! you can even find high performance spark plus in this auto parts shop.
The ash is light brown deposits on the centre or ground electrode. Due to the excessive fuel or oil. Or your engine wear can have similar effect on your spark plug. If the ash shield the spark is going to lead to the misfire problems. Ensure that the spark plug is of the proper heat range and check for engine wear.
The black wet deposits result from oil in the combustion chambers can be caused from worn pistons, rings, valve stems, or scored cylinder bores. The sparking plugs which run hotter may alleviate this problems temporarily. Your engine going to misfire due to the oil covering the firing end. The cure is in your car engine overhaul.
I, Fouzi thank you for subscribing and visiting my website. My Car Symptoms, ebook. The part one ( How You Diagnose Your Car Problem To Save Money ) is Free for you. subscribe now on this page free ebook. If your car is in need of spark plug contact me at Fouzis Service Centre for free quotation and prices. Learn more about spark plugs on this article automotive plugs.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.